Hen Is Shaking, Sour Crop, Help!!

Yoko

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
SanDiego,California
I have a hen that is about a little over a year old, and she has had sour crop for a few months now. (Yes, I know I'm terrible for letting it go on..) In the past couple weeks I've turned her upside down a couple times and she's thrown up at least half a cup each time of smelly liquid. I massaged her crop and there is a huge lump of something that I can't break apart(plus tons of dirt). I did try feeding her yogurt, but she won't eat it, all she does is keep eating dirt and drinking. She has been shaking for the past two days, and even with her crop is extremely light, skin and bones. I can't cull her, I have no way, and I can't afford a vet nor do I think I have the time.
Is there anything I can do to save her, or should I just wait until she dies?
sad.png

She's a sweet chicken and very vocal usually, but is just quiet and stumbling around. She has no strength to get away, fight back, nothing.
I don't know what to do, and I feel extremely guilty, please help if you can. Thank you.

Put her in a box and bring her inside. Give her nothing but water with apple cider vinegar added for 3 days to give her a chance to rest her system and empty her crop. Then give her some bread soaked in olive oil to help pass anything stuck. Give her this, eggs, and other high protein foods for a few days to help her gain back some strength. Keep an eye on her crop, if it swells back up stop feeding her. Do a search for sour crop and impacted crop on here. This is what I did for my hen a few weeks ago, and she's doing much better now. Good luck!

I have a hen that is about a little over a year old, and she has had sour crop for a few months now. (Yes, I know I'm terrible for letting it go on..) In the past couple weeks I've turned her upside down a couple times and she's thrown up at least half a cup each time of smelly liquid. I massaged her crop and there is a huge lump of something that I can't break apart(plus tons of dirt). I did try feeding her yogurt, but she won't eat it, all she does is keep eating dirt and drinking. She has been shaking for the past two days, and even with her crop is extremely light, skin and bones. I can't cull her, I have no way, and I can't afford a vet nor do I think I have the time.
Is there anything I can do to save her, or should I just wait until she dies?
sad.png

She's a sweet chicken and very vocal usually, but is just quiet and stumbling around. She has no strength to get away, fight back, nothing.
I don't know what to do, and I feel extremely guilty, please help if you can. Thank you.
Put her in a box and bring her inside. Give her nothing but water with apple cider vinegar added for 3 days to give her a chance to rest her system and empty her crop. Then give her some bread soaked in olive oil to help pass anything stuck. Give her this, eggs, and other high protein foods for a few days to help her gain back some strength. Keep an eye on her crop, if it swells back up stop feeding her. Do a search for sour crop and impacted crop on here. This is what I did for my hen a few weeks ago, and she's doing much better now. Good luck!
Can anyone tell me the outcome? I have a hen that is shaking and has had a crop bra on for 6 weeks now for her now pendulous crop, I've treated the sour crop over and over. I've done every method out there, from apple cider vinegar to monistat!

Back
Top Bottom