Hen is staggering while walking.

dao1947

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
I have a 1 1/2 year old Welsummer hen who started staggering when she walks last Thurs. She is also in a heavy molt. I took her to the vet on Fri. and she stayed overnight. No blood tests were done, just a general check up and a fecal exam. She is healthy, eating and drinking, no parasites in her poop, and no physical injuries, except for the staggering and the molt. The vet gave me Neo Calglucon syurp and 100mg Tylan powder for her. I have her seperated from my other hens, four other Welsummers and a Leghorn. One other Welsummer is also in a heavy molt. I feed them Layena, scratch, and let them free range in the yard. Has anyone else run into a problem like this? The vet mentioned Mareck's disease but I opted out of expensive blood tests for the time being.

somtimes they need more vitamins, esp in a molt. Give them electrlyte solution weekly to give them a boost. I have had hens unable to walk, then got better with administration of vitamins. hope she gets better

Calglucon is highly concentrated liquid calcium. Did you ask the vet why he presribed it? Perhaps he was thinking calcium defeciency. In molt, higher protein helps with feather regrowth. Leg issues can sometimes be helped with vitamin B complex....if that's what it is. I hope he doesnt suspect marek's as you mentioned.

Last edited:
I have a turkey who is exhibiting almost exactly the same symptoms. No vet in the area, but she's been on electrolytes for two weeks now. Hasn't gotten better or worse, still looking for an answer.

Good luck with your hen!

I have a hen who also does this. I also don't know what the problem is. I think it has been a month or two now.
she walks on her "elbows" but looks completely normal otherwise. If one starts giving her super doses of vitamins, how much would you give her. Also, can you overdose on vitamins?

Quote:
Overdosing on vitamins can harm organs like the liver, eventually death. It's best to put your hen in a crate or cage. Try vitamin B complex, you can purchase it from a pharmacy. They come in tablets, crush a few into fine powder and sprinkle it put her feed as needed. About the 5th day, remove her from the cage and see if she's able to stand and walk. If not, return her back to the cage and continue with the vitamin B complex for another 5 days. Let her out again and hopefully she'll be able to walk. If not, discontinue the vitamins and release her.

what would be a correct dosage? She is an standard very cute Auracana and is about 2 years old. For her I can't do the crate thing because she literally yells nonstop after a day of being away from her friends and her house. After I know a good dosage I can either squirt it in her mouth every day or add it to their regular food. I do have 2 types of chicken vitamins, one liquid and one a powder and an electrolyte powder I put in their water during hot summer days.

Back
Top Bottom