Hen is straining and larnyx maybe pushed out the mouth?

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
My hen is not well. Yesterday I sequestered from the rest. She was not acting normal. I noticed she was straining and kept opening her mouth like she was gasping. I checked her bottom--not knowing what I was looking for anyway--where her vent is (horizontal opening) it keeps opening and closing and she was straining sort of.

This morning she was not much better, she had moved but there was a wet spot where she had been laying but that could have been the rain leaking in. (the shingles were damaged during a wind storm)

Now the big problem
I went out to check on her. There was a ball thing hanging out of her mouth with a small hole in, out of this hole was breathing gasps. I could put the thing back in and she swallowed and I got her to drink a few drops. I checked her vent, its all white and pasty. She is still straining and the vent opens and closes. I do not feel anything hard in the area. I put her back down and the ball thing came back up but she swallowed it quick...

what is going on? I am thinking she needs to be put out of her misery

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree. Poor thing.
sad.png

Gail

She wasnt doing any better. Whatever she had hanging out of her mouth came back up again. She would swallow it and it would come back up after a bit.

DH put her out of pain.
Thanks for asking.

No one must have had any ideas on what was happening

She never coughed or shook her head. When I checked her vent, it was constantly opening and closing. Like straining to pass a hard poop....or in this case an egg.

I read about the gape worm, thanks for that info. She was not emaciated and ate good up until that evening and the next morning. With the info I found, my quess is more egg bound but i am not for sure

http://www.geocities.com/KelliAnn293/healthproblems.htm

Back
Top Bottom