Hen is tilting head and stumbling!

Spotted_Owl

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
California
Hello,

My son was feeding the chickens and noticed that our bantam Rhode Island Red hen is "acting funny". Her head is tilted to the side, and she is stumbling and falling, not constantly, but enough that it is noticeable. We don't see any swelling or discharge, and she seems to be eating and drinking. What could this be? Any ideas? My little boy is very worried....

Thanks!

I thought I'd update, in case anyone is interested... We brought her inside to keep her warm and comfortable, and put some vitamin drops in her water. A couple of hours later she had what looked like a pretty violent seizure, and is lying on her side looking like she's about to die.... only she hasn't... she's been lying this way for a few hours and she's still breathing. I guess the end is near. I hope it comes quickly and peacefully. My little boy is still hoping for a recovery.
sad.png

I'm so sorry you and your son have to go through this. If it were me I think I would check her in the morning and if there's no change, cull her humanely. She may be in great pain or distress and sadly it's best to end it quickly if she's not going to recover. I would have a necropsy done just to be sure it isn't something that can infect other birds, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom