Hen is walking slow and closing eyes. What should I do?

Dec 28, 2022
IMG_6957.jpeg
This morning I had let her out of the coop but I noticed something was off. She seemed to be walking slow. Usually every morning when she gets out she seems to have a lot of energy walking really fast. She also drank a lot of water and is standing still closing her eyes. What should I do to treat her?

Did your weather go from mild to very hot this week? If so, treat for heat stroke with one cup water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda.

Have you examined her crop? Is it flat and empty or is it full and hard and lumpy?

What does her poop look like?

Did your weather go from mild to very hot this week? If so, treat for heat stroke with one cup water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda.

Have you examined her crop? Is it flat and empty or is it full and hard and lumpy?

What does her poop look like?
Thankfully no the weather hasn’t gone very hot this week but it has been rainy all week long.
I haven’t got to see her poop yet but I will check on her crop and let you know

Still laying is a good sign.
The cracked and eaten egg needs to be dealt with. Once they learn how good they taste, the other hens may learn the trait and it becomes a downward spiral.
Removing eggs frequently and keeping fake eggs in the nest helps. When they try to break a fake egg, it can deter the habit.

Still laying is a good sign.
The cracked and eaten egg needs to be dealt with. Once they learn how good they taste, the other hens may learn the trait and it becomes a downward spiral.
Removing eggs frequently and keeping fake eggs in the nest helps. When they try to break a fake egg, it can deter the habit.
This is her first time doing it I’m pretty sure it was for accident. We have another hen but they’re separated. We only have 2 hens

She looks very sick. I wouldn't worry about the cracked egg or diet while dealing with this issue. Can you please tell me how her breathing sounds, and open her beak and see if there is phlegm?

Back
Top Bottom