Hen is wheezing

michellebergman

Chirping
Sep 3, 2020
California
Hi All,

My 1.5 year old hen just started wheezing and I'm very new at raising chickens I don't know what is wrong or what I should do. I looked up that maybe she needs antibiotics? She's eating and drinking. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm worried about her. I added a video of her. Thank you!

Last edited:
Your video says that it is private. You can upload to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here, but make it so that we can see it. Is she having any other symptoms, such as watery or bubbly eye, facial swelling, gasping,or nasal drainage?

Your video says that it is private. You can upload to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here, but make it so that we can see it. Is she having any other symptoms, such as watery or bubbly eye, facial swelling, gasping,or nasal drainage?

Thanks, I just changed the video to be public. She has no other symptoms. No watery or bubble eye, no facial swelling, I didn't see any nasal drainage. No Gasping, shes not open mouth breathing.

That sounds like stridor a sound that can be from getting a piece of food in the airway, and may be temporary. Sometimes it clears in a few hours if they cough it out. Sometimes stridor cannbe caused by mucus or swelling in the airway which might be from a respiratory infection. Usually there will be some sneezing as well. Let us know if it goes away by tomorrow. Hopefully, it will. I had a hen who would practicallly inhale her food and she had the stridor a couple of times afterward.

That sounds like stridor a sound that can be from getting a piece of food in the airway, and may be temporary. Sometimes it clears in a few hours if they cough it out. Sometimes stridor cannbe caused by mucus or swelling in the airway which might be from a respiratory infection. Usually there will be some sneezing as well. Let us know if it goes away by tomorrow. Hopefully, it will. I had a hen who would practicallly inhale her food and she had the stridor a couple of times afterward.

Thank you!! I hope it goes away by tomorrow. She's going on 4 hours of this.

Her wheezing could be the start to something else (like some respiratory sickness or disease). Sometimes sicknesses like that start small (wheezing or raspy breathing) and then they slowly progress. It could also just be something in her airway or something else simple like that. Keep an eye on her. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.😉

She's stopped wheezing and is back to normal! She must of has something stuck!

Back
Top Bottom