Hen isn’t laying and acting weird

Jan 3, 2020
I have a two year old Rhode Island Red who recently molted. After she molted her bum got a bit bigger and softer. She’s been acting weird. She likes to sit down a lot, she will breathe with her mouth open even if no one else is. And she hasn’t layed a egg in about 2-3 days wich is unusual for her. Her poop is fine and so is her crop, she has a appetite and is active but everyday I will catch her sleeping or resting on the floor. She won’t roost she will just be on the floor. I’m not sure what it is but I lost another hen recently. She had also molted badly and her bum got big and like a ballon. She didn’t lay eggs for a while and passed. I didn’t realize she could be sick because she acted so normal. Does anyone know what it could be and how I could help? She is currently in jail and after I write this she is getting a Epsom salt bath. They also have access to layer feed daily

One of my girls just had a swollen abdomen/wasn’t laying. She had been laying soft-shelled/wrinkled eggs. The first time I noticed an issue it looked like she was trying to lay, also I gave her the epsom salt bath and that got the eggs out. If her abdomen is for sure soft and not hard, then maybe not egg binding and possibly egg peritonitis. That’s what I think was wrong with my girl. I brought her in and fed her scrambled eggs as well as giving her 1 mL of NutriDrench a day. I also gave her 2-3 mL of olive oil a day in case of blockage. She was drinking and eating fine on her own, just lethargic, swollen abdomen, and puffed up. I ended up ordering some fish amoxicillin (got it on 1 800 Pet Meds). I would open a capsule and mix in water, then gave her 1/4 of the mixture twice a day (125 mg of the amoxicillin 2x daily). Still don’t know for sure what was wrong with her, but the swelling is gone and she’s acting normal again (though not sure if she’s been laying ...). I kept her on the amoxicillin for five days.

Could she be egg bound? Have you checked to make sure that she doesn’t have an egg stuck inside her? How is her vent? Is it poopy? How is her poop? How old is she?

Could she be egg bound? Have you checked to make sure that she doesn’t have an egg stuck inside her? How is her vent? Is it poopy? How is her poop? How old is she?
She is two years old. No poopy butt and her vent is normal. I just finished giving her a Epsom salt bath. She went back to her jail and is currently in her nesting box making a nest! Fingers crossed she lays!

Back
Top Bottom