Hen isn't laying in the nesting box.

Fluffychicky

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Sophia, NC
Heyo!
So here is the issue, I have four hens and a nice nesting box 2 of my girls just started laying 2 days ago. One hen will not lay in the nesting box, her first egg was laid in the run under the coop in a corner and her second egg seems to have been laid at night from the roost! Thank goodness the other hen lays in the box but she's only laid one egg so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that is where she will lay her second. So I took the egg that was laid from the roost and placed it in the nesting box in the hopes the other girl lays where she is suppose to. If I get that one girl in the habit of laying in the box will the other one learn from her?

Young pullets will sometimes do this for a while. I have had pullets lay in the run for a couple weeks. But eventually they get it figured out. Yours will too. It helps to keep fake eggs in the boxes at all times and keep the boxes clean. Make sure this bird is not being frightened out of the boxes either, but I have a feeling she will catch on soon.

If you catch a pullet or hen in the act of laying an egg somewhere, gently pick her up and place her in the box too. This will also help them learn where you want them to lay.

Back
Top Bottom