Hen just died suddenly - not sure why

Dragonfly Ranch

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Happy Valley, CA
Yesterday my husband was working around the chicken run and everyone seemed fine. He went to the store and when he came back our 1 year old Silver Lace was dead. We could fine no visible marks on her and the only thing we noticed was that it looked like part of her insides were coming out her vent. The only other thing I noticed on Wed evening was some poo that had a milky puddle around it. I looked at the poo reference chart and didn't see anything like it, so dismissed it. I realized that this is limited information but if anyone has any other clues we would appreciate it. This was our first loss and want to make sure there is not something else we should be looking so others don't do the same. RP Wilma
hit.gif

This morning all the other hens and roo seem to be fine, no one has mites or lice which we check for, all eating and running around like normal.

Thank you

Sandee

Soundl like she might have had a prolapse. Sometimes you can fix it, but if the other chickens see it they'll peck at it and kill her. If you're up to it open her up and look to see if she had an egg stuck, which is the only other thing that I can think of.

ETA: Sorry you lost your girl, what a rotten way to start your day.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for information. I did just Google for more information and from what I read it sounds like what she had. Just really sorry that we didn't notice so we could have possibly saved her.

Sandee

Don't beat yourself up over it, the learning curve can really &$ sometimes. It's one of those things that just happens. If you would have seen it you might have been able to fix it, but there isn't really anything you could of done to prevent it.

Back
Top Bottom