Hen just pooped out yolk?

dannyd21

Chirping
May 11, 2021
Hello all I witnessed my 2 year old hen just drop a yolk from the roost in front of me. Its 7:30 pm and I'm not sure if I should be super concerned? Can someone explain what happened and if I need to take action.

She laid a shell-less egg, the white part may have been laid separately, or not at all. Has she ever laid abnormally before? Do they have access to oyster shell for calcium all the time? This time of year many birds start to molt, and glitches in laying can happen as they go out of lay. They do not normally lay at the same time they molt. Any time birds go into or out of lay, glitches can happen. It may be a one time thing and not repeat. If it does then she may have a shell gland malfunction or the start of a reproductive problem. Watch her for any signs of illness or not acting like she feels well. Laying a shell-less or soft shelled egg is more difficult for them and can make them feel unwell, and they will often perk up after it's passed. If she seems to act sick you may need to supplement calcium to help her pass anything that is still inside. That would be a calcium citrate +D tablet once daily (citracal or equivalent generic) until she lays normally. Also look for any signs of molt in the coming days, missing feathers, pin feathers coming in anywhere, lots of feathers under where she roosts, etc. If she is starting molt, then laying will stop until molt is complete.

She laid a shell-less egg, the white part may have been laid separately, or not at all. Has she ever laid abnormally before? Do they have access to oyster shell for calcium all the time? This time of year many birds start to molt, and glitches in laying can happen as they go out of lay. They do not normally lay at the same time they molt. Any time birds go into or out of lay, glitches can happen. It may be a one time thing and not repeat. If it does then she may have a shell gland malfunction or the start of a reproductive problem. Watch her for any signs of illness or not acting like she feels well. Laying a shell-less or soft shelled egg is more difficult for them and can make them feel unwell, and they will often perk up after it's passed. If she seems to act sick you may need to supplement calcium to help her pass anything that is still inside. That would be a calcium citrate +D tablet once daily (citracal or equivalent generic) until she lays normally. Also look for any signs of molt in the coming days, missing feathers, pin feathers coming in anywhere, lots of feathers under where she roosts, etc. If she is starting molt, then laying will stop until molt is complete.
i dont know if she is molting specifically but out of the 5 i have one of them is molting and there is a noticeable egg production decrease. She seems very lethargic though so could there be something else?

She may be lethargic due to not feeling well from trying to pass that. The calcium tablet would be a good idea. It will help with contractions to help her expel anything that remains. If you don't have the calcium citrate, a couple of tums can help. The calcium citrate is absorbed better.

She may be lethargic due to not feeling well from trying to pass that. The calcium tablet would be a good idea. It will help with contractions to help her expel anything that remains. If you don't have the calcium citrate, a couple of tums can help. The calcium citrate is absorbed better.
is a store brand calcium citrate ok or is there a specific poultry one?

Back
Top Bottom