hen keeps going to nest but doesn't lay.

poonam

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Oakland, CA
Hey everybody My EE keeps hovering around her nest box, going in, sitting there for a long time, and doesn't end up laying. When she does lay, her eggs seem really healthy, good shells, bright gold yolk.

She seems like she's a little preoccupied by herself too. Other than that she eats and drinks really well, and is active and looks fine. she has laid fewer eggs this week than her average, but she did lay one yesterday that looked really good. She had some issues with capillary worms when we initially got her, and we have wormed her with the right wormers in december. I hear that capillary worms are hard to get rid off, but it has only been a month and a half since we wormed her.

My BO who is a super layer has shown this behavior from time to time too. She also sometimes goes to her nest after she had just laid, and sits in there for a while. Again, other than that, she seems totally normal, healthy, happy. Is this normal behavior from time to time? maybe a little egg back-up in their system? Wondering what y'all have experienced with regards to this sort of thing. Nothing has changed in their life recently, same feed, same free ranging. They had a little scare last week with our neighbor's cat (the cat goes by them in a hurry, and they freak out for a few moments), and that happens from time to time, so it's not something they haven't experienced before.

Thank you for your help.

If the egg is laid, probably not backed up. If they walk around and the vent pulses that is egg bound. BOs and EEs tend to be broody so I suspect they are considering raising a family.

Thank you for your response. Is the vent pulsing something that should be obvious? like, their feathers are parted, and you can actually see that happening? I've picked her up and checked her out, and i didn't notice any obvious pulsing.

Poonam

Back
Top Bottom