Hen keeps sitting down

Elle122082

Hatching
Dec 7, 2020
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, but I love this site! Everyone is so helpful!

So, my 7.5 month Easter Eggers haven't started laying yet, except for one of them.

Today I noticed one of them being a little strange. She is walking around fine but as soon as she catches up to the group she sits down and just stays there. If I go over an nudge her she'll get up, join the group and do the same.

She has not started laying yet, so I can't tell if there is a laying problem. She is moving slowly, but doesn't seem swollen. Is this something to be concerned about?

I have been raising chickens for years and this is the first time I have seen one act this way.

Thanks for the help!
Elizabeth

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, but I love this site! Everyone is so helpful!

So, my 7.5 month Easter Eggers haven't started laying yet, except for one of them.

Today I noticed one of them being a little strange. She is walking around fine but as soon as she catches up to the group she sits down and just stays there. If I go over an nudge her she'll get up, join the group and do the same.

She has not started laying yet, so I can't tell if there is a laying problem. She is moving slowly, but doesn't seem swollen. Is this something to be concerned about?

I have been raising chickens for years and this is the first time I have seen one act this way.

Thanks for the help!
Elizabeth
members.jpg

I have noticed she is also isolating at night in one of the nesting boxes. Everyone else is up on the roosts and she is sitting the box all alone. There is another bar for her but she is choosing the box instead. Could this be a sign of an issue?

Is she the lowest on the pecking order?
I don't know...I only have 5 and they all seem to get along pretty well. We had 6 and for a time there was definitely one that was at the bottom, but she turned out to be a rooster! So, he is gone now, and since then they all seem to be at the same level...

Generally speaking she is not a loner.

I don't know...I only have 5 and they all seem to get along pretty well. We had 6 and for a time there was definitely one that was at the bottom, but she turned out to be a rooster! So, he is gone now, and since then they all seem to be at the same level...

Generally speaking she is not a loner.

If she isn't the lowest on the pecking order.
She could be the last one to roost at night but it gets too dark for her to join the roost.

Wonders if she's working a soft shell down the pike, not unusual for new layers they can act pretty darn weird when that happens.

I have noticed she is also isolating at night in one of the nesting boxes. Everyone else is up on the roosts and she is sitting the box all alone. There is another bar for her but she is choosing the box instead. Could this be a sign of an issue?
Did this just start?

Wonders if she's working a soft shell down the pike, not unusual for new layers they can act pretty darn weird when that happens.

Did this just start?
It did just start, about 2 days ago. She seemed a bit better today.

Back
Top Bottom