hen killed by???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pointyp, Apr 19, 2009.

1. pointyp

pointyp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    North Seattle
    I have 3 hens in my backyard, which has a 6 foot high fence all around. New & sturdy...but something got in and took my hen away. All that was left is feathers all over. The feather trail led underneath my shed (about 6 inches off the ground). The shed is right up against the coop, but still totally inside the fenced backyard. Today, awhile after my hen was killed I get woken up at 6:30 am to frantic hen sounds. When I went out, I see a small opossum in their run area by the shed. Must be living under there. Is that small opossum really capable of taking down a mature rhode island red? Or was it just looking for eggs? We have seen raccoons around & in some areas, coyotes. The neighborhood dogs are always in their yards. What do you think got my hen & dragged it under our shed?
    I don't want it to happen again!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, possums can kill a big chicken, but they don`t drag them off. Fortify your coop and run. There`s no such thing as overkill. Set your trap and be aware they may not return for 1 or 2, even 3 nights, but they will be back. Everyone who keeps chickens needs a gun and a trap.......Pop

3. pointyp

pointyp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    North Seattle
    Just can't stand the thought of killing another animal, even if it may have killed my hen. I will fortify!

-P

4. Meloout831

Meloout831 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Trap and kill it. Use meat for stew!! No rats please.

5. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Opossums will kill chickens if hungry enough & easy enough to get to. You should at a minimum relocate your pest or there will soon be 10 of them under your shed.

Coons will easily climb any height fence, but they don't usually come out in the daylight so make sure you lock the coop at night.

I've lost several to coons & now have a 5ft fence with an electric wire around the top to knock them down.

I still loose one to the occasional red tail hawk. I can't really do anything about that though. They are such beautiful birds & I absolutely love their cry.

I just hope russell crowes looks up every now & again.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I lost 2 hens the other day. I was out there with them. Some was up on the hillside. Something spooked them. I never did see what it was. I walked up there with Saydee(my german shepard) we didn't find anything not even a feather. What ever it was just grabbed the hens and left. I haven't let the chickens out since. Tommy is going to teach me how to use a rifle. I can't shoot it if I can't see it. What ever it was was quick. I was standing just below the hens. I wish you all the luck. You will need to kill it or remove it. That is what I HAVE to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by