Hen killing day old chicks

How did you remove the wing?
The wing was dangling by a very thin bit of skin. That skin had started to dry out by the morning after the attack so it was just a simple matter of snipping the skin with sharp medical scissors. I worried about hurting the chick so I tested the area by pinching and checking for a reaction. Not a peep( lol) so I just went for the snip. It was kinda like cutting that dry skin off the edges of a healing blister... hope that helps clarify.

The wing was dangling by a very thin bit of skin. That skin had started to dry out by the morning after the attack so it was just a simple matter of snipping the skin with sharp medical scissors. I worried about hurting the chick so I tested the area by pinching and checking for a reaction. Not a peep( lol) so I just went for the snip. It was kinda like cutting that dry skin off the edges of a healing blister... hope that helps clarify.
Yep, thanks, understand completely. When my pullet got her wing caught & impinged, hanging from it. I had to cut it open to allow fluid to drain, I tested it first too, nothing, not a peep, just slept on in my lap while I was working on her. How is your little one doing?

Yep, thanks, understand completely. When my pullet got her wing caught & impinged, hanging from it. I had to cut it open to allow fluid to drain, I tested it first too, nothing, not a peep, just slept on in my lap while I was working on her. How is your little one doing?
The chick is doing great. Everything is healing nicely. no irritation no swelling. She is still a little clumsy with the lack wing. If she gets knocked over she has a bit more trouble righting herself but otherwise all is well. I'm really pleased overall with her progress. I keep saying her but I really have no idea yet on gender. Might be wishful thinking

The chick is doing great. Everything is healing nicely. no irritation no swelling. She is still a little clumsy with the lack wing. If she gets knocked over she has a bit more trouble righting herself but otherwise all is well. I'm really pleased overall with her progress. I keep saying her but I really have no idea yet on gender. Might be wishful thinking
You'll hafta update us every now and then with photos so we can see 'her' progress!

The chicks are over 2 weeks old now. Wingless is healed up nicely. Here are a couple of photos taken yesterday so those interested can see her progress.
20191122_174640.jpg
20191122_175059.jpg

So it's been a couple of weeks. Little wingless and her hatch mates are all doing great. I have not re introduced them to the flock yet but I plan to do so in another 2 weeks or so. I'll post an updated pic of wingless with her adorable feather antennae she has developed on her head. Awkward adolescent feathering is so cute! And a second picture that shows the whole group. Wingless in the second pic is at the back with her eyes closed the naked neck at the front is her two winged sibling.

Attachments

• 20191208_170118.jpg
    20191208_170118.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191208_165555.jpg
    20191208_165555.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 22
One more picture showing wingless back. You can still see a lot of bare skin but feathers are starting to fill in around the area.

Attachments

• 20191208_165515.jpg
    20191208_165515.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom