Hen laid a premature egg...

Stefanie14

Hatching
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Okay...I am at a loss so maybe someone more experienced can help me.

One of my hens laid an egg prematurely today. The egg had a shell but was soft. It also still had a cord attached to it. She has been on egg layer crumbles and with a flock block at all times. No other hen is having soft shell eggs and this is the first egg that she has had that is soft shelled. She is an almost 2 year old hen that has one season of laying under her belt already. No previous eggs like this from her or her sisters. Anyone have any ideas? Was this just a fluke?

In my opinion it is normal for a hens first egg or the first egg after a molt to be soft. I dont think some owners find them because they get ate by the hen or other chickens. I have had a few and every time it was their first egg. Either that or sometimes the cycle of the hen is rebooted and you will get a soft one. I would not worry about it unless it happens more often.

She has a block which has oyster shells and grit in it for her. She has one at her disposal all the time. She's the only hen I have seen that has done it.

I've seen this once with my hens. Stress and/or a big fright sometimes causes soft shelled eggs and "water balloons" like the one you got.

Back
Top Bottom