Hen laid soft shelled egg, listless, not herself!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stoutfamily, Jul 12, 2011.

1. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    She's a 22 weeks old EE, I'm pretty sure she's normal weight - looks healthy sized.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She's been laying for about a week now, her eggs have been small but each one has been slightly bigger than the last. I've gotten an egg everyday, except for the day after her first. This morning, I went out to the nesting box and found a soft, white egg (her's are normally green). She's barely moving around. I usually let her in the house and she jumps up on my lap, but today she fell asleep standing up without hopping onto the couch. I let her back outside and she went into her nesting box and sat and is sleeping. She's normally very energetic and friendly. She has been a little sneezy these past few days. I live in AZ so it's been HOT and dry. We got some rain and her sneezing lessened, as did mine and my hubby's.
    **Added: Her crop was really large and soft feeling a couple days ago, but I monitored it and it did go down after she hadn't been eating for a bit.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Since this morning, mostly. She seemed just fine yesterday, although she did sneeze a couple times.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    She's the only one we've got. We have a duck but he seems fine. He's in a pen and the chicken doesn't go in there too often.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No, I checked her vent and it looks normal. Her butt feathers were a little dirty, but nothing extreme.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Possibly starting to lay.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    I have noticed her both eating and drinking, although she is eating less than normal. Her water intake seems to have increased, but this could be from the heat. She eats layer feed and might get some duck starter/grower on occasion. I tried giving her some oyster shell but she wasn't interested. I also tried giving her a few strands of shredded cheese, which she gets on occasion, but she didn't want it.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Poop looks normal, she seems to be pooping a normal amount as well.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    No treatment yet. Just watching her... will probably put her in a warm bath in a little while in case something is stuck in her.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I would prefer to treat her all myself. I can't really afford to take her to the vet, unfortunately. If it comes down to it, she may be taken anyway though. I really don't want to lose her.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    No picture, but I can take one if needed.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She free ranges the yard. She has many options of where to lay, but seems to like to roost on top of the clothes dryer. She sleeps there every night. She has a nesting box with a blanket in it. Sometimes she goes into the dogs house, or sits or perches on lawn chairs. She also comes in the house and sits on the couch with me.

Thanks to anyone with information! I am very worried about her.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. stoutfamily

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Anyone? I'm getting worried [​IMG]
    Just the egg wouldn't scare me but combined with behavior, it's freaking me out!

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:She needs oyster shell in her diet(calcium)--if you don't have access to this at the moment, you can take a clean egg shell and crush it up and let her eat it. Good luck!!!

4. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    U should just give chrushed up egg shell or oyster shell as for the color not sure

5. stoutfamily

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    Ok, thanks! I have some out for her but she doesn't really want it. Do you think laying the soft egg could've been painful and maybe that's why she's acting strange?

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    My girls lay soft shelled eggs on occasion despite having access to oyster shell. They don't act like themselves for about a day or so, refusing treats and just hanging out by themselves. But then they come out of it and they're back to their normal bawk-bawking selves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by