1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen laying at four months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by honeybunny, Oct 8, 2012.

1. honeybunny

honeybunny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    My barred rock pullet is only a few days away from being four months old. She's been separated from her mother so this definitely isn't her mom's. I found the skin of a shelless egg in her setup(which is in the coop, and I don't think someone would coincidentally roll a shelless egg in there somehow). There was also a wet spot where she probably bit it and ate it...

This is a bit early I'd think, especially since my other hens born in late spring started laying the next early spring because of our gray, rainy weather. But maybe it's because it's been pretty dry and sunny over here(luck I suppose!)?

I haven't switched her over to laying feed yet... Should I?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It is early for BPRs, mine started at 20 weeks or longer. That may be why it was soft shelled, the egg started before the rest of her egg tract was ready. At this point, 16 weeks, she's near enough to what is regarded the Point Of Lay that layer won't hurt her.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    x2. My BR's started laying at 18 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by