Hen laying somewhere in the yard

ClucksAndPeeps

Songster
6 Years
Aug 8, 2013
We have a chicken that we believe is laying somewhere in the yard and we can't find where. Any suggestions on how to get her to lay in the nest box? Thanks!!

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my little bantem hen. She even lays under our vehicles sitting in the drive. She will lay in her nest box if I don't let her out to free range, but I think she really trys to wait till I let her out. I have to go easter egg hunting every other day. Oh well it is kinda fun, trying to figure out where she layed at each time. Here I am trying to think like her and out smart a chicken. Which some times can really be actually kind of difficult sometimes. LOL

I had the same problem too. I bought a couple of ceramic eggs and placed one in each nest box. Then I kept the girls in for a couple of days so they HAD to lay in there instead of their secret hiding spot (which I found later in the rose bushes). After a couple of days, I'd let them out after they laid in the nest box. If they didn't lay by around 6pm I'd let them out to free range for a couple of hours. I did this for another 2 days and now they all lay in the nest box except one very persistent speckled sussex that thinks the rose bushes are preferable. So I put a ceramic egg in there to hopefully keep her from finding a new and more reclusive place to lay.

Back
Top Bottom