Hen lays egg eithout shell???

Vanitychickens

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
68963DD3-6FEE-435A-8D71-DC44D251B16A.png
Ok so my broody hen i think it might be normal but just wanna check and i think its her first time also being broody so any help? At first i thought it was like a spider nest cause it was so gushy but i poked it and it was her egg sbout a foot away from her nest

View attachment 1908406 Ok so my broody hen i think it might be normal but just wanna check and i think its her first time also being broody so any help? At first i thought it was like a spider nest cause it was so gushy but i poked it and it was her egg sbout a foot away from her nest
Yes, thin or missing shells happen on occasion. Usually due to a lack of calcium. I don't know that being broody is the cause but I wouldn't worry. Just ensure her feed is calcium fortified, she'll be ok.

Yes, I’ve had two of those in the last two weeks. Apparently it can be too many greens at the start of spring, or not enough calcium after having time off in winter, or a myriad of other things. So long as the whole thing comes out and doesn’t leave any behind to cause infection, it should be ok. Annoying though! :)

Yes, thin or missing shells happen on occasion. Usually due to a lack of calcium. I don't know that being broody is the cause but I wouldn't worry. Just ensure her feed is calcium fortified, she'll be ok.
Ok thanks im feeding them oyster shells is there anything else i should feed them with it??

Yes, I’ve had two of those in the last two weeks. Apparently it can be too many greens at the start of spring, or not enough calcium after having time off in winter, or a myriad of other things. So long as the whole thing comes out and doesn’t leave any behind to cause infection, it should be ok. Annoying though! :)
Very lol thank you for the help

How old, in weeks, are all these birds.
Softshells are common with new layers, and can be with birds about to molt or go broody.

It's not always a calcium issue, they may be getting plenty of calcium but not enough other nutrients to use that calcium.

Back
Top Bottom