Hen lays misshaped eggs

Is your hen still young? Often for the first couple of months of laying, they will lay strange looking eggs until their bodies get used to egg production. And even after that, occasionally you'll still get odd-looking eggs. My hens will have thickened portions on the shells now and then. Check her vent to make sure it doesn't look bloody or prolapsed, and if it doesn't, just chalk it up to a blip in her egg factory!
wink.png

My mom has this one RIR that lays eggs shaped like a hot-air balloon. I swear, the one end is SO big I don't know how she gets it out. The other end is 1/3 the size. As long as she appears healthy, just enjoy the strange shape.

Thank God!! I just got these red star hens. They were caged chickens and we thought we would give them a good life. I think they are about a year and half old. They lay huge eggs. I am new here I think that I will get some helpful advice. I have loved chickens all my life and just got into it. I got new babes coming friday. cant wait.

Odd eggs are more common than you'd think if you've been raised on those from the supermarkets. The commercial producers have machines that sort, grade and reject eggs, so you don't see them on the consumer end.

welcome-byc.gif

I have a black Jersey Giant that lays funky eggs all the time and she is fine. Sometimes hers has a soft spot in the middle on one side but the egg is good.
Good luck with your new chickens. You will love it here.
It is addicting.........
thumbsup.gif

Just as Oblio13 said, the market stuff is sorted so you only see the perfect looking.

Strange shape does not hurt the egg or the chicken.

I have some Red Stars that are about 18 months old and lay like crazy. Every once in a while, I'll get one that is super small like a banty egg.

Sometimes you will see a banded impression around the middle with the breeds that lay very large eggs . . . I'm sure it was more difficult to lay but as long as they are healthy, no problem.

I also have some Black Austrolarps that seem to lay eggs that are longer and more skinny.

They still taste good in the frying pan!

Michael

Enjoy your chickens! I have a girl that lays what I call "torpedo" eggs:

carmenegg2.jpg

I think they're neat!

Are your new ones juveniles/adults? If so, please make sure to keep them separated from your current flock for at least 30 days. Have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom