Hen leaking yolk then laid watery, soft egg....new chicken mama

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
6 month old Production Red hen. She's been laying almost daily for 6 weeks or more without any issues. The second egg she laid when she first started was gel-like and had no shell, but since then has been fine. She has, however, laid two eggs in one day a few times.

This morning she was slow getting off the roost, stayed inside longer than the other chickens. Then seemed to be fine all day, until late afternoon. I go out and check on them several times a day. Late afternoon, she began standing in the corner by herself, didn't want treats, not moving around, just standing still. She was pulsating like she was trying to lay or poop. I brought her inside to check her. She pooped a small amount (normal) and what appeared to be egg yolk also came out. Over the next hour a good bit of yolk came out. I checked inside and couldn't feel any shell, egg, or anything abnormal. I flushed with cool water a few times and applied coconut oil to her cloaca.. I made a mash of her food, manna pro omega egg maker, about 250mg of amoxicillin, probiotics, and water. I also have water with Poultry Drench in there for her. She ate and drank a little. She perked up some, but was still pulsating and leaking yolk.

A few minutes ago, we went in and she'd laid a jelly/watery egg without a shell. It was fully intact, not broken. I cut it open and it's not a normal egg inside - watery, some sort of tissue or membrane, and a little yolk and blood spots. I'm going to post a picture in the comments from my phone. I'm also going to post a picture of her vent, because I think it might be mildly prolapsed.

Any suggestion on what else I need to do for her? Do I still need to flush her vent with cool water? Check inside again for shell? I don't think there actually is any, but concerned there may be contents of a similar shell-less egg (like she just laid) inside her. Should I check her again tonight or let her rest and not continue to stress her out?

More info:
I have been feeding Purina Flock Raiser until recently. Husband bought a different feed recently from a local feed store. In order to use it, I have been mixing it half and half with the Flock Raiser. They have oyster shell available free choice. Plenty of clean, cool water daily - we live in SE Georgia where it's hot and humid.
They are not free range. They have a secure pen that is 10x20 and a large walk in 10x12 house - plenty of space for 7 chickens.

I am sorry this is so long. I wanted to give plenty of information.

914DCEE8-EC48-4038-A656-8D80C43CBFDF.jpeg
6F78803D-1BE7-4A2B-B55F-276AECAA02E9.jpeg
6BCCA089-1DD7-45A9-A2DC-E6C6D0CEF182.jpeg

I would not flush the vent since it could flush fecal bacteria up into the vent and oviduct. She may have a calcium deficiency or a problem with her shell gland part of the oviduct. You could offer her human calcium tablet with D3 or a Tums for the next few days to see if increased calcium helps her to lay easier and harden the shells. But if that doesn’t help, I would consider treating with an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua-Mox or Fish Mox online). Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 10 days.

I would not flush the vent since it could flush fecal bacteria up into the vent and oviduct. She may have a calcium deficiency or a problem with her shell gland part of the oviduct. You could offer her human calcium tablet with D3 or a Tums for the next few days to see if increased calcium helps her to lay easier and harden the shells. But if that doesn’t help, I would consider treating with an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua-Mox or Fish Mox online). Dosage is 125-250 mg twice a day given orally for 10 days.
Thank you! I will try the calcium tablet in the morning. She’s resting now.

I already started her on the amoxicillin.

I just checked on her
- she had laid another shell-less watery egg, this one was small.

When I went in, she got up and ate a lot of the mash I’d made her, some grit, and drank water.

She is no longer pulsating and seems to feel much better and content.

I’m going to keep her inside the rest of the night. Hopefully she’ll be able to go back out with jer

I just checked on her
- she had laid another shell-less watery egg, this one was small.

When I went in, she got up and ate a lot of the mash I’d made her, some grit, and drank water.

She is no longer pulsating and seems to feel much better and content.

I’m going to keep her inside the rest of the night. Hopefully she’ll be able to go back out with jer
*with her sisters in the morning

Back
Top Bottom