Hen left nest...now what?

JDchicks

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2012
Southeast Alabama
My brahma hen went broody for the first time.

She sat on the weeks for about a week / week and half, then gave up. I have been working some overtime and had my teenager son feeding. And he neglected to say she was camped on a nest. So, not sure on the actual time she started.

I moved the eggs into an incubator. They have been there for a week.

Here is the status:

2 nothing, no air sac
4 small dark mass, no veining yet, small air sac
1 medium dark mass, veining, possible movement (or could just be my eyes), nice size air sac
1 complete black, large air sac, (looks like my eggs -in the past - on the last few days before hatching.)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Should I leave the darkest egg in there and if pips moved to a higher humidity incubator for hatching? Or move it now and hope not to drown it with too much humidity?

Also looking for opinions.

Plus, kinda scared it may be a bacteria filled egg. Is there anything to look for if it is?

The eggs could have started incubation at different times, for instance the hen could have been broody for a few days, then a different hen goes in the nest box and lays an egg. That new egg will be well behind the rest in incubation. I would just incubate and see what happens, theres not much you can really do when you don't know whats going on inside the egg. Hope it all turns out good
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom