Hen lethargic and not moving

Roseloud113

Hatching
May 24, 2020
Hi! This is my first use of this site and my last resort. I have a hen who is about a year old, she has been healthy and happy until a few weeks ago when we noticed that she was puffed up in the corner away from the other hens. We took her inside to monitor her and her condition didn't change much and we treated her for worms and mites but she just kept getting worse.

Today, I was with her and she walked into the wall at the back of her crate, seeming to be unaware of its existence. This made me wonder whether she might be blind so I did some tests to see if she would react to my finger coming towards her or light in her eyes. We compared her reactions to her sister's but she wouldn't react to anything, not even something she could sense if she could see like a loud noise or a sudden gust of sir. She no longer moves when I touch her or tries to get food or water. Its like she's given up.

Please, if anyone has advice or any suggestion at all, I am desperate to save her.

I’m so sorry about your hen. Is she still with us? Can you give her a brief, gentle exam? Check that her crop empties over night. Feel her breast muscle for wasting. Look and see if her vent is clean and clear. Feel if her fluffy belly is swollen. If she isn’t eating or drinking at all, I’d offer her something irresistible and see if she’ll take it.

I took her out this morning for some time to run around and she was checking things out. She pooped several times but she also seemed like she couldn't balance, she tipped over and stuck out her wings to stay on her feet a few times. Her crop did empty, but it was pretty empty to begin with and she didn't seem swollen or wasted. I offered her some mealworms which she loves and she did start eating them. I mixed them with her food so she might eat some of that as well. She has not been laying eggs. The wormer we used was called Wazine and the mite treatment was Sevin Dust.

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do anything to help her and she passed away this morning. She seemed to be getting better but without more symptoms it was difficult to diagnose what was wrong and treat her for it.

Back
Top Bottom