Hen lethargic, barely eating/drinking—please help

Farmingjen

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2019
Arlington, WA
I have a year old hen (Swissy) who has slowly declined over the last 2 weeks. This began mid-molt, so I assumed we would begin to see a turnaround for the better.
Swissy was always first out of the coop, now last. She has always been a fierce forager, now is not foraging other than eating grass. Shows no interest in any “human food” unlike all the other hens. Swissy is lethargic, sleeps standing while the others preen. I have closely been watching her and haven’t seen her preen or groom herself. I brought her inside, 2 days ago, to observe her dropping and food intake. She’s less than impressed with scrambled eggs, feed, or tiny bread pieces. Has drank tiny bits of water, but nothing to write home about.

Stance is hunched, head not extended nor upright like usual. Has head sucked in like she’s weathering a storm. She has lost weight. I’m attaching pics for reference.

*meds on hand—(I have goats and chickens)... but I can possibly find others, if needed

Sulfadimethoxine 12.5% oral
Sulfadimethoxine 40% inject
Baytril 10% oral
LA-200 inject
Denagard 12.5%

Attachments

• 5ABF51E5-B445-4A1E-B0C9-9E52997A33A7.jpeg
    5ABF51E5-B445-4A1E-B0C9-9E52997A33A7.jpeg
    616 KB · Views: 8
  • 78952559-E323-4679-A11D-37D8D5924273.jpeg
    78952559-E323-4679-A11D-37D8D5924273.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 6
  • E97613DE-9FBA-4248-9693-E2DC9633FE7C.jpeg
    E97613DE-9FBA-4248-9693-E2DC9633FE7C.jpeg
    423.7 KB · Views: 7
Do you feel a large, hard, lumpy crop? It appears large from the angle of the photo. It could account for her lethagic behavior and abnormal poop. If you can rule out a crop disorder by verifying the status of her crop by checking it in the morning before she eats, you might then suspect a bacterial infection. More info on how to identify crop disorders. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you for responding @azygous !
Since she has been in this slower moving/lethargic state for 1+ weeks now, should I assume impacted crop and sour crop? Upon deeper inspection, she does have a small, hard ball this morning so I’ve begun the process of oil and gentle massage to break it up.

She is very feisty as I’m massaging her crop... is that to be expected or am I causing damage?

You're doing fine. Offer her grit, also. If she goes for it in an eager fashion, it lends more weight to the crop disorder diagnosis.

You're doing fine. Offer her grit, also. If she goes for it in an eager fashion, it lends more weight to the crop disorder diagnosis.
She went after the grit, but didn’t eat any of it. I even added chick grit to the larger stuff and she hasn’t eaten any.
I am heading to store to get the dulcolax. Anything else I should get in advance? Should I also treat her for sour crop since it’s been so long and her white/watery poop smells a bit sour?

Back
Top Bottom