Hen limping red featherless stomach - Updated w/PICs

I'm going to keep a close watch on her and slip her some extra protein treats. She is one of our first chickens and one of the sweetest!

It was the limping and the feather loss that made me suspect botulism after reading every post I could find on both symptoms. I thought that maybe I just caught it before the head down stage started. We let our chickens free range all over the backyard including the compost pile. I bury the new stuff down a foot deep but I can't guarantee that they don't dig up some of it. So I was wondering if she ate some moldy produce or moldy chicken food that she dug up. We went and bought a composter today so all fresh stuff will spend a month in there before going into the compost pile. I also caught sight of a mouse in the coop this past week along with new mouse droppings. Someone mentioned that in a post on botulism. I guess sometimes too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing! I started suspecting the worst case scenerio!
big_smile.png
I am relieved that you think that she looks fine. She is out with her sisters hopping around eating the new leaves on my grape vine.

we have a little d'ucle hen that does this. (minus the limp) she had a round spot on her lower chest area that is bare. I thought she was broody, but has never made any attempt to stay on the nest???

Maybe they are just neurotic feather pullers? Ours does go through a ritual with the pine shavings before she lays her egg. Maybe she is an OCD chicken?!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom