Hen limping red featherless stomach - Updated w/PICs

PetRock

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Camino, CA
Our golden sex link hen started limping two days ago. She is favoring her right leg. I checked her feet and legs the first night and didn't see anything wrong. Yesterday, we did a more thorough examination and noticed that her stomach is featherless and bright lobster red. She is still eating, pooping, laying eggs but is not straying far from the area between the coop and the house plus has the red featherless stomach. From reading other posts, I wonder if she has botulism. I brought her in and kept her in a dog kennel for the night. I treated her with molasses in her water last evening and epson salts in her food. I gave her scrambled egg and yogurt for breakfast. She gobbled it up but is not happy to be in the house. Do you think that it is botulism? Would that cause the feather loss & irritation on her stomach? Is there anything else that you recommend to do? Thanks!

55754_omelet16april2011.jpg

55754_omeletb16april2011.jpg

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Golden sex link, around 5 lb., 13 mos. old
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Limping favoring her right leg and lobster red, featherless stomach.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Noticed the limping 2 days ago and the stomach yesterday.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Other 6 hens showing no signs of either problem.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No sign of any truma or injury.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Don't have any idea. They free range our backyard including the compost pile. I dig a deep hole and bury all kitchen vegie scraps but I guess they could work hard and dig them up. I also noticed mice poops in the coop this week so we have a rodent problem that needs to be dealt with today.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. She is eating and drinking like always.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks normal. She had her big morning poop when I let her out of the kennel this morning.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Molasses in water for 6 hours last night and epson salt in her Purina crumbles layer food.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Can't afford a vet so need to help her myself.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Pics posted above
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use They have pine shavings on the floor of the coop and in the nesting boxes. Their run has all purpose sand. They free range our 1/3 acre yard all day long.

Last edited:
She hasn't been acting broody. She goes into the nest box, does her business, and sings on the way out. I am going to exam her again for buggies.

I updated post 1 with pics of Omelet's stomach. We've only had chickens for a year and this is our first round with any disease/injuries/pests or whatever it is. Has anyone seen this before and any ideas of what to do for her? Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

I have one like her, she plucks her own feathers off and eats them. I have gotten feed with a little more protein and give them BOSS for extra protein, hope it helps. I too have been having feather plucking issues this winter.

All 3 of my chickens have red skin like that--I believe it's just how their skin looks. Mine have the same 'feather loss' in the same spot, but I think it's from feathering their nest. I'm not sure about the limping though.

Last edited:
she is just pulling her own feathers for nesting, it's normal. The limping is probably due to the rooster or some hopping down from to high incident. Do look for buggies and treat forthem if you see them. She does not look to me like she has botulism, you really have no doubt when they do.

Thank you to all who answered my question! It just looks so red that I was assuming that it was painful. She doesn't fuss when I touch her stomach so I guess that I'm being an overanxious chicken mom. They do get BOSS every day for treats alone with some plain yogurt every morning. Maybe I'll up her protein by giving her some egg every day. We don't have a rooster so maybe she pulled a muscle jumping down from somewhere. Do you recommend that I keep her confined in a kennel for a few days to let her heal or let her out with the flock?

Quote:
That will make her happy! She was out for a few hours today and just stayed mostly in one spot. Poor baby!

Back
Top Bottom