Hen limping with one cold foot

chickenshrink

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Today I noticed one of my hens (a 2-year-old Araucana) was limping. I picked her up and felt both of her feet/legs. The foot/leg that she was favoring was smooth and quite cold, while her other leg was warm and rough (as usual). Her feet/legs are dark colored naturally, but there was no color difference between them and no injury. I felt all the way up and down both feet/legs and could not tell any difference except what I just mentioned. I have a small flock (9 hens) and they have a warm coop with straw bedding. It's been cold here, but they don't generally leave the coop when it is very cold. She is eating/drinking/pooping as usual and I did not notice her limping yesterday. Any ideas what the problem could be? I don't have a poultry vet in the area and our regular vet has not been very helpful with my chickens in the past.

I searched this string and could not find any similar answers...any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC. I suppose it could be frostbite if she got the leg wet and it froze from thecold air. More likely is that she injured it, spraining or breaking it. I would confine her to a crate either inside the coop to keep her place in the pecking order, or inside the house, to keep her from over-using the leg. Give her vitamins or at least vitamin B1 while she is recovering. After a week, re-evaluate her and watch her walk, but also keep an eye out in case it was frostbite.

Hi Chickenshrink (and anyone else that has an answer!),
I realize that this is an old post, but I have a hen with the exact same problem, and I am having trouble finding any info on it. She is imping, and that foot is cold to the touch. Did you ever get any decent answers on this?
Our coop blew over, last night (winds were INSANE), so we are assuming that she injured the leg (does not react to us manipulating the leg or foot, though), but we aren't sure. We have her confined, and in a warm place.
Thanks in advance, anyone!
Beffers

Hi Chickenshrink (and anyone else that has an answer!),
I realize that this is an old post, but I have a hen with the exact same problem, and I am having trouble finding any info on it. She is imping, and that foot is cold to the touch. Did you ever get any decent answers on this?
Our coop blew over, last night (winds were INSANE), so we are assuming that she injured the leg (does not react to us manipulating the leg or foot, though), but we aren't sure. We have her confined, and in a warm place.
Thanks in advance, anyone!
Beffers

@Beffers It sounds like there may be some nerve damage. Is the leg limp or paralyzed? Can you see a vet to get an xray? Do you see any green bruising or swelling along the leg or hip? A chick sling chair might be helpful if she is not able to walk to get to food and water.
Human B complex 1/4-1/2 daily may help the curled toes.

Last edited:
@Beffers It sounds like there may be some nerve damage. Is the leg limp or paralyzed? Can you see a vet to get an xray? Do you see any green bruising or swelling along the leg or hip? A chick sling chair might be helpful if she is not able to walk to get to food and water.
Human B complex 1/4-1/2 daily may help the curled toes.
Thanks for the response.
She can walk on it... But she limps with it. She does move her toes. We haven't found any bruising or swelling. And she doesn't respond as if she is in pain when we squeeze/move leg and foot around.

Back
Top Bottom