Hen listless and unresponsive with watery stool: please help

any oil will do.

the crop is like a little sac near the bottom of the neck on the breast.slightly to the right..(hen's right)
the best way to check the crop, is to check it at night..
it should feel full...
then recheck in the morning before she eats..it should feel empty, or flat..shouldn't have any lumps..or grainy feeling..
is it soft and squishy?

it's possible she could have sour crop..sometimes can be treated with yogurt..or even apple cider vinegar.
med for sour crop is Nystatin..
sometimes called Medistat, Mycostatin, or Nilstat.
treats yeast infections.

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com

check her mouth and throat if possible, using a flashlight, look for any sores, or blister like sores..
canker can be a cause of sour crop.

have you considered she might have cocci?
cocci symptoms are watery droppings, sleepiness, lack of appetite.

try calling some vets and ask if you can have a fecal test done for worms and protozoa (cocci)..
if she has cocci..she needs treatment asap.

I've been giving her an oral antibiotic (terramycin). Would this help with cocci? Probably not.

This morning she seems worse. What felt like a distended crop last night is no longer so noticeable. Today she isn't eating or drinking at all and seems extremely weak. I can see her breathing (her body moves up and down) but her breath doesn't seem labored and I can't see or hear any wheezing, coughing, etc.

There isn't a vet here who will have anything to do with chickens. Do you think I should treat her as if it is cocci, switching her meds?

Please advise. Thanks!

She's now displaying no interest in her food or water. I'll try giving her some water with a dropper. Do you think I should give her the amprolium that way straight, without diluting it?

This may have nothing to do with the current problem but get rid of the cedar.
Use pine shavings that are not like sawdust, as you describe. They should be more like flakes.
If you don't have or can't get quickly, you can also use clean fresh straw.
Make sure she stays hydrated. You'll see many references on BYC re: giving Polyvisol to try to ensure she gets primary nutrients during this most difficult time.
So sorry your hen is feeling so poorly and I hope very much that the problem will be sorted out and that she will get well.
JJ

I've been dropper-feeding her sugar water laced with terramycin and amprolium, with an occasional squirt of olive oil in case it's her crop. But she seems to be losing consciousness and vomited.

Any ideas? Should I continue feeding her?

Back
Top Bottom