Hen making angry clucking noises and puffing up.

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
My chicken (some RIR mix) has been free ranging today with the rest of the flock like normal. The only problem is, whenever I come near her, she puffs up like a balloon, starts angerly clucking, and starts running away. She hasn't had any traumatizing incidents, so I don't know what could be the problem.

Oh cool! I don't have any eggs for her to hatch soo I will probably have to break her broodiness once it fully starts.
You can always let her sit for a week or so on some fake (or infertile) eggs, then get one-day-old chicks from Craigslist or your local farm supply and slip them underneath her once it's dark. She will most likely accept the babies by morning, and she can raise a little flock! I have had success with this method and I believe others have to. (But of course, if you don't want chicks it's probably best to break her broodiness)
Good luck with your broody hen!✨

You can always let her sit for a week or so on some fake (or infertile) eggs, then get one-day-old chicks from Craigslist or your local farm supply and slip them underneath her once it's dark. She will most likely accept the babies by morning, and she can raise a little flock! I have had success with this method and I believe others have to. (But of course, if you don't want chicks it's probably best to break her broodiness)
Good luck with your broody hen!✨
Oooo good point.
I have 2, three day old chicks, are they too old for her to accept them? I am thinking yes. If that is the case I will probably break her broodiness. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom