hen making crowing sounds??

MommyM

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
California
Hi there everyone! O Wednesday we got a 7 month old Millie Fluer D'uccle, a hen, it has laid two eggs so far. But, yesterday morning I thought I heard a crowing like sound, and I told my husband and he says no, that can't be right. So I thought it was a rooster far away. No. This morning I heard the same thing, louder, and several more times. I think she wanted to be let out of the little house we have her in, she flew out when I opened the door! I didn't know hens will make crowing sounds. (I am very new at chickens, never had them before.)

Ok, couple of questions. Is she by herself? No other chickens? Are you absolutely sure the eggs came from her? Are you sure she is the one "crowing"? Do you have a pic??

Other than that, I would think she is immitating the sound, but to me, if you think it's a crow, it probably is.

She is all by herself, (will she get lonely?) and the eggs did come from her. I can get a picture of her later today!

If she is alone you really need to get her one or two chicken friends. Chickens are very social and prefer life in a flock. I would think her crowing is a sign she is telling you she is very unhappy.

You will have better success and a healthier chicken if you get at least 2 more. She needs chicken company.

In a flock that small try not to have a rooster. He will over mate them and wear them out. They will get to looking ragged and poor and their feathers will wear off. You will be better served by 2 or 3 hens.

Introduce a rooster and she should stop crowing but may still crow occassionally.

I was so glad to see your post, I also have a hen that makes crowing sounds from time to time. When I first heard it I was like no way. Of course she does not sound as good as a rooster. But hey what can ya expect? She is not in a pen and is out with several other chickens (roos & hens). My husband thought I had lost my mind too!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the replies, and for that information Miss Prissy. I was wondering if she could be lonely. We are going to get some chicks at the end of summer, we'll be away for the summer. Maybe we will get another hen though in the mean time. There's some at the local animal shelter.

OK, this is happening to me now. It sounds like a rooster who is trying to find its voice, but I am pretty certain it is a hen (but the alpha most aggressive hen out of the flock). It crowed at least a dozen times this morning before 6am. I live in a no crow zone, so I am worried the neighbors will complain. I am not sure what to do - will it eventually stop?
sad.png

Quote:
Well since it is a no crow zone and not a no rooster zone you have a problem. I think it is just getting started, you may want to post some pictures.

Jim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom