Hen making trilling sound. What does it mean?

I have heard my girls make that sound too. They stand very still when the do it, and whatever they're looking at, they stare at intently. I think it's a warning sound. I heard it yesterday, then a few seconds later, heard a hawk screeching.
It probably is. Mine sing loudly when they see a hawk, or when they lay an egg.

Curious if that sound happens with every breath?
No, I’ve only ever heard her make this sound once. It seemed more like she was inhaling and then making the sound on the exhale. But it definitely seemed intentional.

One of my four hens seems to be the lookout, and she makes this sound as a warning. The others stop what they're doing and stare in whatever direction she's looking. Sometimes I see what she's looking at, usually a fox in the woods, but often I can't figure it out. As someone else said, maybe leaves, butterflies, clouds...:rolleyes:

I have heard my girls make that sound too. They stand very still when the do it, and whatever they're looking at, they stare at intently. I think it's a warning sound. I heard it yesterday, then a few seconds later, heard a hawk screeching.

I think this is correct. I've heard it a couple of times before, but couldn't figure out what it meant. Just now, I was near the chickens and saw a hawk land in a nearby tree. One of the girls trilled a warning.

Back
Top Bottom