Hen Mille Fleur Losing Beard | Help!

Silkylover12

Chirping
May 3, 2015
As I was going to take care of my two Mille Fleur hens today, I noticed one was starting to lose its beard..

Yes its beard..

I've chickens for quite some time, and have never experienced anything like this. Could someone tell me what is happening??

The two hens are quite lovely, and are really docile. They love each other and don't see to have any problems with each other. Is she possibly moulting?
I checked, and she didn't seem to have mites. Usually you can tell right?

Anyways, any help would seriously be appreciated. Thanks!

Bearded chickens sometimes lose their beards to pecking or "over grooming" by flockmates. I have different breeds of bearded chickens, and they will sit there and let others pick them out. My mille fluer hen used to pick out her roosters's beard. It' s not such as great thing to look at, but I don't think anti-picking lotions will work for that.

Hmm.. Ok. What else do you think I can do then? She is for show, and my other one isn't good with showmanship.. What do I do? Does it go away eventually?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

I agree. I'll keep them together of course. I'm just trying to figure out what else to do. Any other ideas?

I would just look at how much they are getting outside to roam and peck, make sure they are getting enough protein (usually at least 16% but up to 20% protein,) things to entertain them and decrease boredom. Some try antipicking lotions or bad tasting ointments such as menthol, vicks, or bag balm. Hopefully, that may help.

Hey,

Thanks for the help. At first I didn't think that protein was a problem, but that may be it.

Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom