Hen Missing Feathers--Has Stopped Laying

HobbitWife

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
Hi Everyone!

I need some advice for one of my laying hens, please.
Background: we have four laying hens, all at least 9 months old. We bought them in March, fully grown, from a friend who loves rare breeds. Our hens have a large coop, and free-range in a large area of our backyard every day. We give them scratch layer feed (fermented each day, and 24/7 access to dry feed in the coop), veggie scraps, and dry crushed eggshells for calcium.
All the hens had bald spots when we got them, as their previous home had some *ahem* aggressive roosters. Three have regrown their feathers and look happy and healthy, but one hen, unfortunately, is still missing feathers, and now has stopped laying. The bald spots are on top of her head, on her back, and at the back of her right wing. I have seen the others picking on/pecking her a bit, but that seems to have gotten better recently. It's been over a week since she last gave us an egg. Will try to post pictures when I can, but she doesn't like being picked up.
Any advice from experienced folks would be welcome! This is our first flock, if you can't tell. 😉

I would worry about pecking and bullying. You could try a hen saddle/apron. Look on Amazon or Etsy. Protects back and wings. Can also use a skin protective, like BluKote.
I have a hen who lost feathers from an inexperienced Roo, they have yet to grow back, after months of separation. I have read feathers may come back after she molts.
I don't recommend separation unless the chicken is bleeding. Being separated is stressful for some chickens.

As long as she seems otherwise healthy, and isnt bleeding - protect her skin, and hope for feathers!

Hope she gets back on track soon!

Thank you so much for your replies--sorry it took me so long to respond!
Unfortunately, we lost her--the other hens bullied her, and we think they may have driven her away from food to the point at which she ate something poisonous. :(

Back
Top Bottom