Hen moving her neck in a weird way

Maggies chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2021
Colorado
My Ameraucana hen has started moving her neck in these really weird ways like something is stuck in her throat. It’s like she is gaping from gapeworms but I highly doubt she has gape worms because she is acting like a normal chicken and they are rare in the US. Any help would be great.

My Ameraucana hen has started moving her neck in these really weird ways like something is stuck in her throat. It’s like she is gaping from gapeworms but I highly doubt she has gape worms because she is acting like a normal chicken and they are rare in the US. Any help would be great.
Probably just adjusting her crop.
Can you post video?
How often does she do it?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

I will post a video tomorrow. I check on my birds quite often and every time I’m out there with them she’ll move her neck weird. They have access to feed at all times, and I feed them an organic layer feed and I add layer grit. I also add some dried herbs, like oregano. I’ve noticed that when I deworm my chickens she will stop moving her neck but then a couple weeks after I finish deworming it will start back up again.

I will post a video tomorrow. I check on my birds quite often and every time I’m out there with them she’ll move her neck weird. They have access to feed at all times, and I feed them an organic layer feed and I add layer grit. I also add some dried herbs, like oregano. I’ve noticed that when I deworm my chickens she will stop moving her neck but then a couple weeks after I finish deworming it will start back up again.
Best to keep "layer grit"(oyster shell?) separate from feed.
I would not add any herbs or spices until I cook them.
What are you deworming with...and why?
How old is this bird, in weeks or months?

A belated Welcome to BYC! @Maggies chickens
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1626263488346.png

I’m not sure how to insert a video but I deworm them with safeguard goat dewormer and I was deworming them because I thought they had gapeworm but then I found out that it’s really rare in the United States.

Back
Top Bottom