Hen nearly died from cold, one day later is not moving normally and has a big, soft crop

sevenbabychicks

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
Hey all,

Yesterday I came home from a trip to find one of my BCM hen very cold and almost dead. Took all night by the fire for her to warm up, and she seemed to recover. Walking around, eating and drinking like normal. Now, about 24 hours later, I still have her inside, but she's standing very still, her eyes closed most of the time, not responding much to external stimuli. Also, her crop is really large and mushy - it's like the food just softened and is sitting in there.

Couldn't find a thread about a bird with similar symptoms. Anyone out there ever experience anything like this?

Thanks!

Morgan

I often wonder if many of these crop problems are attributable to capillary worms which enter the crop/trachea/esophagus. I realize things like Candida, lack of grit, improper diet, damage to intestinal tract from protozoa/bacterial infections can also cause it. Do you practice a deworming schedule, and if so, what anthelmintic do you use and what is the dosage? At what age do you stop using a coccidiosis preventative?

Last edited:
Hm, I only deworm if they present symptoms, and this girl was fine up until she nearly froze. Unless maybe getting too cold made her more susceptible to worm infestation?

By the time you see symptoms, internal damage has already occured.

Unfortunately that is often true. Seven, the freezing could have certainly slowed down the body which includes the digestive process. if you can't get the bird to drink poultry vitamin-electrolyte treated water, you will need to syringe/tube feed. Try offering milk/buttermilk soaked bread. Keep her warm and see if she starts to regain strength. Perhaps the crop will begin to empty. I have used crop bound capsules (Docusate sodium from the drug store) with success in the past. Birds plagued with internal parasites definitely have more odds against them from a state of a weakened immune system. But considering your bird almost froze to death, I don't mean to focus on parasites as the culprit. Let us know what happens and if we can help.

Last edited:
No change this morning; crop hasn't emptied. Will be going to the drug/farm store to get that docusate sodium (is it sold another name at the drug store?) and keeping her warm. I've had her for a few years and she's normally a big, solid, healthy hen. Hope she pulls through... she's a real sweetheart. Thanks so much for all the help!!

Sadly, she died about an hour ago. As she did, she expelled the foul mess that was in her crop. No worms, but perhaps they were blocking passage of food from her crop? I'll be setting out to deworm the rest of my flock asap, and will never again allow a cold, weak bird access to normal food. Should've gone with a buttermilk/bread diet from the get-go. But thanks again for all the advice!

I'm very sorry that happened. I have had regrets in the past about maybe I should have done this or that. We are all learning all the time. I hope the rest of your flock stays healthy.

Quote:
Sadly, she died about an hour ago. As she did, she expelled the foul mess that was in her crop. No worms, but perhaps they were blocking passage of food from her crop? I'll be setting out to deworm the rest of my flock asap, and will never again allow a cold, weak bird access to normal food. Should've gone with a buttermilk/bread diet from the get-go. But thanks again for all the advice!
Sorry for your loss... When the dying process starts some birds will have a sudden burst of energy and start eating, but as the organs continue shutting down, the food stays in the crop, hence the full crop and vomiting when she died. I seriously doubt that your bird had a blocked crop, or that feeding her killed her, but if something like this happens again, try just water for the first 12 hours, then let them eat food that's easily digested, like crumbles mixed with water or scrambled eggs.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom