Hen needs a helmet!

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
I could not, for the life of me, figure out why one of my little cochins was missing her head feathers. I finally saw what has been happening. She is lowest on the pecking order. When she has to lay her egg, she runs and I mean beats feet!! right into the same nest that another hen is in. Then a fight happens. The other hen tries to get her out but the cochin will not go. She tucks in and refuses to get out. The other hens are grabbing and pulling her head feathers trying to get her to vamoose. Do they make chicken helmets? LOL. I don't even know what to do about this situation.

I used to have a hen that did the same thing! :) However, my other hens where more polite about it... Instead of pecking her, they just sat on her and layed their eggs on her back. They would roll off and then the hen on the bottom would tuck it under her tummy for safe-keeping. :lau

After making more nesting areas/boxes, the issue solved itself. :)

I used to have a hen that did the same thing! :) However, my other hens where more polite about it... Instead of pecking her, they just sat on her and layed their eggs on her back. They would roll off and then the hen on the bottom would tuck it under her tummy for safe-keeping. :lau

After making more nesting areas/boxes, the issue solved itself. :)
My old flock was more polite too. They would often be 2 in one nest. These girls just don't seem to tolerate the lowest peck order girl bullying her way into their nest. She will not go into any other nest once she sees another girl in a certain nest.

Ethel the bald headed, helmet needing Cochin!
20180218_130917.jpg

You could try putting in another nest box in and placing an egg in each one to encourage them to use different boxes. I have some that will only lay in one nest box and some that will use anything that has an egg in it already.

Back
Top Bottom