Hen not acting normal, wet poop, not hanging with the rest of the girls

I understand.
Milk is a great medium to grow bacteria. Bacteria growing in her crop caused the enteritis.
I have to admit I was very tired (hadn't had any sleep since I took her to the vet) when the doctor called but I tried to write down what I could.
Harriet is doing much better this morning. She has been eating and her poops are better, though still a little wet. I should be able to take her home today!
When I pick her up I will ask the doctor to explain this all to me again and I will post a more comprehensive explanation.

One more thing. The radiologist said that he found traces of lead. My house was built after lead was banned. We also removed the asbestos shingles from the house over 15 years ago. My yard has also been organic for at least that many years. There is nothing painted in the yard or the run and houses.
Does anyone have any idea how the girls might be ingesting lead?
I read an article about a chemist who was finding high amounts of heavy metals in produce (even organic), especially strawberries. He said California is the only state that has any regulations for this and I try to buy only California grown fruits for my girls but I did give them strawberries from Florida a few days ago.
This is a huge concern, not only for my girls but for everyone who eats their eggs.

I understand.
Milk is a great medium to grow bacteria. Bacteria growing in her crop caused the enteritis.
I have to admit I was very tired (hadn't had any sleep since I took her to the vet) when the doctor called but I tried to write down what I could.
Harriet is doing much better this morning. She has been eating and her poops are better, though still a little wet. I should be able to take her home today!
When I pick her up I will ask the doctor to explain this all to me again and I will post a more comprehensive explanation.
Quote:
One more thing. The radiologist said that he found traces of lead. My house was built after lead was banned. We also removed the asbestos shingles from the house over 15 years ago. My yard has also been organic for at least that many years. There is nothing painted in the yard or the run and houses.
Does anyone have any idea how the girls might be ingesting lead?
I read an article about a chemist who was finding high amounts of heavy metals in produce (even organic), especially strawberries. He said California is the only state that has any regulations for this and I try to buy only California grown fruits for my girls but I did give them strawberries from Florida a few days ago.
This is a huge concern, not only for my girls but for everyone who eats their eggs.
Ok, I understand about the milk, I was wondering if it was a "host" for the sour crop.
As far as lead, I have no idea unless she consumed maybe some lead bird shot (or something similar) that may have found it's way into the soil over the years. It could be decades old, depending what was on the property many years ago?

Originally the land here was farmland and woods. About 125 yrs ago the land was divided and a few small houses were built. Mine was built in 1975. One of the old-timers (now passed) told me he used to hunt wild turkeys on the land so it is very possible there is lead gunshot in the soil.
I pass Cornell University's Agricultural Extension on my way out to the North Fork of LI to get raw milk and will take a couple of soil samples this week and have them tested.
I am going to call them now.
Thank you, this never occurred to me and I very much appreciate your input. I will also have y water tested.

Cornell does not do lead testing. I called the state department of agriculture here, no again. Even the DEC. Evidently only private companies do this kind of testing at a high cost. I am going to buy a lead testing kit and see if this works.

Cornell does not do lead testing. I called the state department of agriculture here, no again. Even the DEC. Evidently only private companies do this kind of testing at a high cost. I am going to buy a lead testing kit and see if this works.
Try the health department....don't mentions chickens, say you want your drinking water tested.

D.gif
Harriet is home. She looks great and is acting like her old self!
They did not find any yeast in her crop only bacteria. The vet told me birds are lactose intolerant. I have read that chickens can eat yogurt, cottage cheese and plain old milk but I am no longer going to give it to them. I am back on the crushed baked egg shells for their calcium supplement.
The vet also said the lead finding was insignificant and I shouldn't worry but I did get soil and water testers. I will post when I get the results back.
As for her overall health she is perfectly healthy, free of worms or lice, lungs and heart are A OK. I am thrilled! I am a little anal about keeping their coops and run clean and at least that paid off.
She is allowed to be with the other hens who were happy to see her. Maybe Bette (one of her hatchmates) will stop angrily pecking me!
I am going to keep Harriet and Bette in one coop at night just so I can discard those eggs.
Many thanks Wyorp Rock and Aart for you input.

D.gif
Harriet is home. She looks great and is acting like her old self!
They did not find any yeast in her crop only bacteria. The vet told me birds are lactose intolerant. I have read that chickens can eat yogurt, cottage cheese and plain old milk but I am no longer going to give it to them. I am back on the crushed baked egg shells for their calcium supplement.
The vet also said the lead finding was insignificant and I shouldn't worry but I did get soil and water testers. I will post when I get the results back.
As for her overall health she is perfectly healthy, free of worms or lice, lungs and heart are A OK. I am thrilled! I am a little anal about keeping their coops and run clean and at least that paid off.
She is allowed to be with the other hens who were happy to see her. Maybe Bette (one of her hatchmates) will stop angrily pecking me!
I am going to keep Harriet and Bette in one coop at night just so I can discard those eggs.
Many thanks Wyorp Rock and Aart for you input.

Is this an avian vet?
So bacteria in crop was concluded to be the problem?
Antibiotics given?
Glad to hear she is doing well!
I do know quite a few people use milk, yogurt, etc. for probiotics. Interesting to hear that chickens are lactose intolerant. I see that you use raw milk - any connection there for the bacteria?
Enteritis is bacterial, so maybe the milk proteins helped feed that.
@aart brings up a good question, what course of antibiotic treatment did the vet put her on? and his previous question -was it pieces of lead found or just showed up in bloodwork?

Of course lead could be from any source, but I was also thinking it was found naturally, so I quickly googled, this was the first one I found:
"Lead is a naturally occurring bluish-gray metal found in small amounts in the earth's crust. Lead can also be found in plants, animals, air, water, dust, and soil. Because it is an element, lead can't be broken down into smaller components." http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/lead

Back
Top Bottom