Hen not eating, not moving much, looks a little puffed up

staciascott

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
I have four red sexlinks who are 1.5 years old and they've been healthy and regular layers. For the past couple of days, one of them has been not eating much and standing around looking tired (and can I say sad?). She looks a little puffed up, but I can't tell if that's just because of the way she's standing. She lets me pick her up and doesn't seem to be hurt anywhere. Nothing "happened" that we're aware of, and her three friends are fine and dandy.

These are my first chickens, and the first out-of-the-ordinary issue we've dealt with, so any advice is much appreciated.

thank you!
Stacia

welcome-byc.gif

Have you checked for mite/lice? Pick the bird up and stretch out a wing. Blow air into the underside of that wing and look really close. Do you see any reddish/clear looking things moving around? If not turn the bird to where its rear is facing you and move the feathers away from the vent area (hiney) and look for the same little reddish/clear bugs. If you find them you have probably found the problem and you will want to go to the feed store and buy something called Garden and Poultry Dust. It comes in a blue and white can. Clean their coop removing all bedding, dust the coop and nesting boxes down good with the powder and then dust all your birds making sure to get the powder down into the feathers.

If you don't find any little crawlies on them then your problem might be a little more complicated and require something different. Remember that mites and/or lice can and will kill chickens if left untreated.

Thank you for your suggestion! Unfortunately I'm not seeing any lice/mites, and when I went to put her down after checking her, she won't even stand up. She's still breathing and moves her beak a little, but her eyes are closed.

Any other suggestions? I think we're losing her
sad.png

Stacia

Bring her in and keep her in a warm, dark, quiet place if you haven't done so already. Do you have any samples of her poo to look at? Have you checked her vent? How does her crop feel? Does she sneeze? Any info you can give on her would be helpful....if she is still with us?

I brought her in and made her comfy in a shoebox near the fire. I've given her a little water and a little milk (thought the protein might help) and she is looking a little better -- holding her head up, opening her eyes for a second when we come near.

Her vent looks ok. I don't what it means to check her crop -- what should I be looking/feeling for?

Stacia

It could possibly be worms. Look are her poo and see if you see anything worm like or even white specks all through it. I could guess a few more things but trying for the more common things first.

Her crop is at the base of her neck and feels like a bulge or pouch. Is it mushy or hard or swollen? Does she have a foul odor coming from her mouth when you open her beak? I don't want to give any type of treatment ideas other than the ones that have been given because the wrong treatment could do more harm than good. Keep her quiet, warm and offer her food and water. Maybe even throw some avian electrolytes in the water.

Her crop is hard, and maybe a little swollen. I'm not smelling any foul odor out of her mouth, and she's not coughing or sneezing. I haven't seen her poo yet but will check that for worms when she passes next.

She's a little more alert after her afternoon in the house and she's drinking water on her own now. I offered her food but she wasn't interested.

thanks for the help so far!
Stacia

Quote:
Sounds like your on the right track. I'd just make sure she's drinking even if you need to use a syringe to hand feed her water. I'd stop the milk. Maybe some suger or electrolites (like pedialite) if you have to give her water by syringe. Good luck! T

We lost her this morning.

This was my first post on BYC, and I appreciate the speedy & helpful responses yesterday. What a nice community this is.

Stacia

Back
Top Bottom