Hen not eating since Suprelorin implant

Pics

Kneedles

Songster
7 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
One of my hens (a five-year-old black sex link) had a Suprelorin implant almost two weeks ago, because an x-ray by a vet revealed that the hen has a calcified lump inside her oviduct. The implant was necessary to prevent the hen from laying any more.
I was given ten Carprieve pills for pain relief and to prevent inflammation caused by the implant. I gave the hen one of these pills every day for ten days, and now I have run out of these pills.
The hen is not wilfully eating anything at the moment; not even raw eggs, which are usually irresistible to her. She is also lethargic and will not move much unless pressed.
I have had to force balls of brown bread down her throat, washed down with Pedialyte, which obviously isn't ideal.
Has anyone else here had a similar experience with a hen that received a hormone implant? What should I do?

You might try pureed baby food. Choose a meat one, and mix with a jar of the sweet potato one. You can put that in a dosage syringe, and feed. Hold the head tilting it a little upward, squeeze a little food in, then relax the head, so the chicken can swallow. Repeat several times, and multiple times throughout the day. When facing the chicken, hold the dosage syringe to the left side of the chicken's mouth. Reverse that to the right side, if you are not facing the chicken. Do NOT get any down the center hole, as it is the air passage.
1.jpg

One of my hens (a five-year-old black sex link) had a Suprelorin implant almost two weeks ago, because an x-ray by a vet revealed that the hen has a calcified lump inside her oviduct. The implant was necessary to prevent the hen from laying any more.
I was given ten Carprieve pills for pain relief and to prevent inflammation caused by the implant. I gave the hen one of these pills every day for ten days, and now I have run out of these pills.
The hen is not wilfully eating anything at the moment; not even raw eggs, which are usually irresistible to her. She is also lethargic and will not move much unless pressed.
I have had to force balls of brown bread down her throat, washed down with Pedialyte, which obviously isn't ideal.
Has anyone else here had a similar experience with a hen that received a hormone implant? What should I do?

I see both good and bad effects of implant maybe she perk up soon .
Dizziness no appetite and odd Behaviors are common with implant . I hope for good and give her fav things to eat or I suggest you to feed her

You might try pureed baby food. Choose a meat one, and mix with a jar of the sweet potato one. You can put that in a dosage syringe, and feed. Hold the head tilting it a little upward, squeeze a little food in, then relax the head, so the chicken can swallow.
View attachment 1982299
I have now acquired some baby food that contains beef and potato (but not sweet potato). Is it possible to tell me how much of it (in ml) I should syringe-feed to a 2.5kg chicken?

How is this girl? I’ve had two different t hens receive hormone implants and don’t recall either refusing to eat. Both were ill and felt even more lousy for a couple days on the implant, but later improved.
Compared to before the implant, this hen is able to run away from me much more quickly whenever I disturb her. But that is the only way that her health has visibly improved so far.

I am hoping the "calcified lump" the vet was seeing, was not a lash egg that had not passed yet. I hope the baby food provides enough nutrition to keep your hen going, until she regains her appetite.

Well, that’s a start. How big is the calcified lump, and is there any hope it will go away?
The vet only showed me the photograph of the x-ray that she took on her phone. I think that the lump must have been the size of a golf ball, but the vet didn't give me an approximation of its size herself.
I have no idea whether the lump can go away. I did not ask the vet that question, and the vet clinic that she works at is a fairly long drive away from my house. On top of that, I can't drive there myself.
The lump was probably caused by me running out of layer pellets and not buying more for over a month.

Back
Top Bottom