Hen not eating, somewhat subdued

Jadore Poules

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 22, 2011
Northern Virginia
I have a 15 month old Welsummer hen who has been a reliable layer. Four days ago she was drowsing and cushing on the ground, tail down. Not really eating except a bit of her favorite white millet. I isolated her and had her poop checked for cocci; came back negative. I checked for lice; saw none. I treated her legs with vaseline for mites, just in case. I stopped the millet and fed only mash; she does not eat. Yesterday she had really smelly poop and a dirty bum. I cleaned her off. I wormed her yesterday and today she has watery stools, not smelly, and little solid in the feces. Probably from not eating. She has bright eyes and comb. She likes to rest in her isolation crate and will stand once in a while and pick just a bit at her feathers. She seems to want to pick mostly at her belly. I've checked for egg binding and felt nothing. Her crop has been empty except for some stones in it. She has not laid in four days.

Does anybody have any recommendations about what I can try next?

Thank you.

Well, I think I found the problem - worms. She pooped a bit one on me while I held her this noontime (glad I was covered) and in it were two long white things. I took them out in the sun to look at them and they sure look like worms to me. Roundworms?

If they are worms, would they be the cause of her symptoms? Should I plan to dose with valbazen in 14 days?

Back
Top Bottom