hen not eating

stapleberg3

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
I have a 2 year old easter egger, she is not eating her food. She will eat veggies and scratch grains. Her crop is empty, she has no weight and I can feel her breast bone when I pick her up. She is in the cellar because of the cold here, She has been treated for runny stools and that seems to have cleared up. I am at a loss of what to do for her. Any Ideas????

It could be that one of her organs is failing. What did you treat her runny stools with? Usually they will have runny white stool with bits of green when they haven't eaten enough. Any swelling in her abdomen below her vent?

I have a 2 year old easter egger, she is not eating her food. She will eat veggies and scratch grains. Her crop is empty, she has no weight and I can feel her breast bone when I pick her up. She is in the cellar because of the cold here, She has been treated for runny stools and that seems to have cleared up. I am at a loss of what to do for her. Any Ideas????
Work on hydration first. Give her drops of sugar water to help bring her glucose levels up. Once she's drinking on her own, then offer her some wet soupy feed, bits of egg or fish (mackerel, sardines, tuna).

What type of treatment have you given her for the runny stools?
Is her crop emptying?
When was her last egg?

Her last egg was 3 weeks ago, I don't feel anything in her crop, I gave her all in one powder, for coccidiosis, canker, worms, and respiratory issues. Her stools are small but firm.

Photos of her and her poop?

Is she molting?

Any lice/mites?

If she's not molting and hasn't laid an egg in 3wks and should have, then she may be having some reproductive issues. Hard to know. Cancer, Salpingitis, EYP, etc. can be common in laying hens.

Sometimes the best you can do is work on getting them hydrated, then attempt to get them to eat their normal feed.
It sounds like she's willing to eat veggies and scratch, so check the feed just to make sure it's not off, moldy, rancid, etc.
Soaked feed made into a mush may be more enticing. Sprinkle bits of egg, fish, etc. on the mush to see if it interests her more. If in molt, she may just be off her feed which some hens do, they prefer other things besides their normal feed, especially greens and yes, scratch - they want comfort food I suppose. Give her small amounts of finely chopped up Kale/Collards/Greens and bit of scratch to go along with her normal feed. Provide some grit free choice.

I assume you gave her something like this and her poop "improved"? Did you ever see any worms in the poop or signs of canker inside the beak? Just curious.
A lot of people do use this to see if it helps at all, sort of cover all type of thing.

1706151220912.png

Back
Top Bottom