Hen not eating?

Hello, my lavender Orpington isn’t eating. I put pellets on the ground and she pecked them and tried eating them. I wetted some and held it out in my hand and she just stared at it. I think she is starting to molt, but I’m not positive. She’s active like the others, packing at the ground, and running out when I come outside. I can’t feel her or any of my other chickens crops. She has this dry yellow stuff on her chest (and so does my white rock) that we believe it yolk. Should I be worried? Is anything wrong with her?

If they are starting their molt, it can be common to not eat much, or act a bit distant. The yellow yolk-like substance may be from her pecking and eating eggs, especially if there are some weak shells. Once they start doing this, they may continue pecking eggs. Perhaps increasing their protein level with some 24% protein in some game bird starter for a few weeks might help. Collect your eggs more frequently when they are normally laid, so they don’t get broken. Adding oyster shell in a separate container can help to harden egg shells. Mine prefer eating crushed egg shells fed back to them.

If they are starting their molt, it can be common to not eat much, or act a bit distant. The yellow yolk-like substance may be from her pecking and eating eggs, especially if there are some weak shells. Once they start doing this, they may continue pecking eggs. Perhaps increasing their protein level with some 24% protein in some game bird starter for a few weeks might help. Collect your eggs more frequently when they are normally laid, so they don’t get broken. Adding oyster shell in a separate container can help to harden egg shells. Mine prefer eating crushed egg shells fed back to them.
Ok thank you! I have them some oyster shells this morning. They don’t expire right?:lau I’ve had that bag for a while.

Back
Top Bottom