Hen not eating

Ilene

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 18, 2013
Help! I noticed tonight that my hen that is always first in line for evening snacks was not at all interested in eating. Also, her egg box had a broken egg in it so I'm thinking that possibly an egg broke inside and only part of it came out? Should I bring her right to the vet or give it till tomorrow morning? She is not perched with the other hens, but rather on a lower perch by herself.

She sure sounds as though she’s not feeling well.

Was the egg you found broken a complete sleigh or a partial?

What is her posture? Is she fluffed up or standing like a penguin?

I’d look her over closely from head to toe and note any abnormalities.
Look inside her mouth for canker sores.
Check her crop.
Feel her belly.
Check her feet.
Look around her neck/under her wings, breasts, vent and legs for evidence of lice or mites.
perhaps do an internal exam of her vent to feel for an egg that is lodged in there or remnants of a broken one.
Give her a good warm Epsom salt soak.
See if she’ll eat a little bit of scrambled egg.

These are my suggestions.

She sure sounds as though she’s not feeling well.

Was the egg you found broken a complete sleigh or a partial?

What is her posture? Is she fluffed up or standing like a penguin?

I’d look her over closely from head to toe and note any abnormalities.
Look inside her mouth for canker sores.
Check her crop.
Feel her belly.
Check her feet.
Look around her neck/under her wings, breasts, vent and legs for evidence of lice or mites.
perhaps do an internal exam of her vent to feel for an egg that is lodged in there or remnants of a broken one.
Give her a good warm Epsom salt soak.
See if she’ll eat a little bit of scrambled egg.

These are my suggestions.

Thank you do much for you helpful reply Stacy.
Based on your recommendations and a little more research, I think it was sour crop.
I've been providing here with water with a little acv, massaging her crop downward every few hours and giving her sugar free yogurt and scrambled eggs. I think she's better now and I'm going to try to return her to her group today, but I'll keep a close eye on her. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom