1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen not laying after molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7girlsandaroo, Nov 9, 2012.

1. 7girlsandaroo

7girlsandaroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Kennebunk, ME
    I have 2 - 17 month old hens, 5 - 12 week old pullets and 1 - 12 week old roo, who was supposed to be a girl. The Buff Orpington hen molted early summer and is back laying like a little egg machine. The Partridge Plymouth Rock hen molted late summer and is completely finished, but not laying. Her comb is a light pink where the Buff's is bright red. She looks and acts very healthy (they are very pampered). Should I be concerned? They are free range in a very large fenced in yard with nowhere to hide her eggs.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

She may still be recovering from the molt. Give her a bit more time.

3. 7girlsandaroo

7girlsandaroo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2012
    Kennebunk, ME
    Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that an indication of a non-laying hen is a pink comb as opposed to a bright red one on a hen that is laying. Any truth to that?

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Yes, a bright red comb usually means a hen is laying and a pink comb she's not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by