Hen not laying eggs but in the box all day and night

lunahills

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Shenandoah Valley, VA
I have a hen who hasn’t laid an egg in the past three days but has been hanging out in the box all day and night. It has been in the 90s here so at first I thought the heat was keeping her from laying. Now I’m concerned that she isn’t drinking and is dehydrated. She’s acting a little lethargic and making a quiet noise she doesn’t normally make. She’s the head hen and is usually quite feisty. I did see her chase one of the other girls today, but overall she seems much less energetic. I checked her vent and nothing seems abnormal. What could be going on, and what should I do?

I have a hen who hasn’t laid an egg in the past three days but has been hanging out in the box all day and night. It has been in the 90s here so at first I thought the heat was keeping her from laying. Now I’m concerned that she isn’t drinking and is dehydrated. She’s acting a little lethargic and making a quiet noise she doesn’t normally make. She’s the head hen and is usually quite feisty. I did see her chase one of the other girls today, but overall she seems much less energetic. I checked her vent and nothing seems abnormal. What could be going on, and what should I do?
Sounds like she is broody?

When first going broody hens will lay a big clutch of their last eggs. They expect to be able to sit on them, but when their eggs are collected then they will sit on nothing. And all broodies stop laying eggs once they go broody.
Embarrassingly, I didn’t know this! So I’ll go ahead and ask another embarrassing question...what candy I do? When will she lay again?

Does she peck you if you come close? Does she puff up? Does she sit on eggs? Does she come out 1-2 times a day to eat, drink, and scratch around? Some broody hens are too stubborn to get off to drink water and may get dehyrated and loose a lot of weight.
She hasn’t pecked me, but in the past she has gotten upset and vocal. She’s definitely puffing up, and even walks around puffed up. I meant to mention that in my post.

Back
Top Bottom