Hen not laying...

FeatherWeather

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2022
Sacramento County, CA
I have a 2 year old white rock who hasn't laid since her molt last fall. I have 3 other girls who are all back to laying after winter break. She seems perfectly healthy. Her comb is dark red. She's eating and drinking fine. She's pecking around the yard with the other girls like normal...I did an all over health check on her and everything looked good. I am going to go ahead and deworm the gang just in case.
They are on an organic 18% protein layer feed. They don't get too many treats. There aren't any predators. She's the lowest in the pecking order, but she's not being bullied. The coop is cleaned daily. All 4 nesting boxes are clean. Oh, and I checked around the yard and I didn't find any hidden nests.
Any insights or suggestions? Is there something else I should do?

I have a 2 year old white rock who hasn't laid since her molt last fall. I have 3 other girls who are all back to laying after winter break. She seems perfectly healthy. Her comb is dark red. She's eating and drinking fine. She's pecking around the yard with the other girls like normal...I did an all over health check on her and everything looked good. I am going to go ahead and deworm the gang just in case.
They are on an organic 18% protein layer feed. They don't get too many treats. There aren't any predators. She's the lowest in the pecking order, but she's not being bullied. The coop is cleaned daily. All 4 nesting boxes are clean. Oh, and I checked around the yard and I didn't find any hidden nests.
Any insights or suggestions? Is there something else I should do?
I doubt worms are the problem.
How are you positive that she's not laying?
Have you done a pelvic check?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

I doubt worms are the problem.
How are you positive that she's not laying?
Have you done a pelvic check?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
I only have 4 girls and I'm home all day. I've been keeping an eye out to see who's in the box. I haven't seen her in there. I've seen her poking around though. My 2 white rocks lay darker eggs than my 2 blue australorps, so I can usually tell who's laid. I guess she could sneak in there when I'm not paying attention, but I'm not getting more than 3 eggs a day.
I did inspect her vent, but I'll do the pelvic check.
I've posted before about proactively deworming and it seems like a lot of people do it. What's your opinion?

Last edited:
I got the omega egg layer additive for my girls because I read that sometimes they might be short on the vitamins they need which can impact egg production. You could also try adding probiotics. I don't know why but instant oatmeal can really do the trick if it's still kind of chilly where you are. A few of mine haven't started laying again since their fall molt and a few started back up again, about the same age as your girl and I'm doing all the things I just listed. I'm not too terribly worried about it, I figure they're getting back into their routine and it's a nice break for them during the winter, no rush.

I got the omega egg layer additive for my girls because I read that sometimes they might be short on the vitamins they need which can impact egg production. You could also try adding probiotics. I don't know why but instant oatmeal can really do the trick if it's still kind of chilly where you are. A few of mine haven't started laying again since their fall molt and a few started back up again, about the same age as your girl and I'm doing all the things I just listed. I'm not too terribly worried about it, I figure they're getting back into their routine and it's a nice break for them during the winter, no rush.
My feed actually has probiotics in it. I'll try the omega additive. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom