Hen not laying...

The days are still getting longer. Not every chicken begins to lay at the same time. I'm sure she will be laying soon.
^ This. Some birds take longer to come back into lay, so that may be the case with her, especially if she's active and healthy otherwise.
I've posted before about proactively deworming and it seems like a lot of people do it. What's your opinion?
Depending on wormer and dosage you may want/need to observe a withdrawal time on eggs. So if you do not see signs of worms or have it confirmed through a fecal float I personally would not treat for it.

I've posted before about proactively deworming and it seems like a lot of people do it. What's your opinion?
Everybody has their own opinions. I regularly butcher my chickens and always check the intestines for signs of worms. I've never seen a worm so I have never wormed my chickens. If I saw a worm I'd do differently. Some people treat when they see signs of worms, some treat regularly whether they see signs or not.

I personally believe if you treat whether there is a need or not you can be helping to create a treatment resistant worm. That's why I never treat anything unless I have a clear reason. I don't want to help create a medicine resistant disease or parasite.

Everybody has their own opinions. I regularly butcher my chickens and always check the intestines for signs of worms. I've never seen a worm so I have never wormed my chickens. If I saw a worm I'd do differently. Some people treat when they see signs of worms, some treat regularly whether they see signs or not.

I personally believe if you treat whether there is a need or not you can be helping to create a treatment resistant worm. That's why I never treat anything unless I have a clear reason. I don't want to help create a medicine resistant disease or parasite.
I read about the treatment resistant worms. That's why I was hesitant to do it. I also read that some people regularly worm especially in damp environments. We're pretty damp here in the winter months and my girls are out free ranging in their part of the backyard all day. I wormed the whole gang the first winter I had them because I had a very sick girl and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. I ended up treating her for everything and thank God she got better. This forum helped me sooo much during that time. Anyway, that's why I figured I'd ask what people thought about proactively deworming. I think that Feather being sick traumatized me...:D

Back
Top Bottom