Hen not pooping depressed blown up

Tommy Kirby

Chirping
Jan 17, 2018
Aldenville P.A
My hen has not been pooping that much in over a week. Soak her 2x a day for 4 days and stuck my finger in her vent nothing there.
She poops ether clear liquid with white or poops the size of the first joint in a woman's pinkie. She's not eating or drinking much and just stands there, walking around once in a while. Her crop in fine.
Thanks Tom 20180329_184536.jpg

How old is she? Can you take some fresh droppings to your regular vet for a fecal test to look for coccidiosis or worms? Coccidiosis can affect young chickens or ones with immunity problems, and is treated with Corid (amprollium) from the feed store in the cattle medicines. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the Corid liquid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Try getting her to eat more by offering some chicken feed mixed with plenty of water in a dish, and add some chopped egg, tuna, or meat.

Not laying for 7 months can be significant. Internal laying, as Boonie mentioned earlier, egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis, and oviduct cancer are very common in hens 2 and older. A dark comb on tips can be normal at times, but could possibly be a sign of decreased circulation, stress, or heart problems. I would look her over for mites on her skin, during the day and also at night.

I started giving her Dylan 50 ,I give her 1 full syringe (u 100) 30 units 3ml im. I Hoping that will help, but I doubt it. I've had 2 others die looking like she does. Oh forgot to mention it 3ml im(under her skin)
Tom

Last edited:
Tylan 50 injectable dosage for chickens is 0.2 ml per pound given 2-3 times a day for 5 days. For a 5 pound chicken give 1 ml, for a 7 pounder, give 1.4 and so on. I would recommend giving it orally, but you can give it by injection into the breast muscle, but it can cause muscle damage.

Tylan 50 injectable dosage for chickens is 0.2 ml per pound given 2-3 times a day for 5 days. For a 5 pound chicken give 1 ml, for a 7 pounder, give 1.4 and so on. I would recommend giving it orally, but you can give it by injection into the breast muscle, but it can cause muscle damage.
But is that under the skin or im?

That is IM. That is the way the manufacturer recommends giving it, but many use it orally, especially in chicks or those who prefer not to give injections.

Back
Top Bottom