Hen not roosting

EJn

Chirping
Dec 23, 2020
Brazoria Texas
So I have a cuckoo maran that will not go to roost at night and I'm not sure why.
All the others fly up, she stays down below.
Not on the ground, I have a shelf midway up that runs the length of the coop.
Plenty of room up top for her and extra roosting board available.
They are spaced at least 16" from other boards so I don't think she could be picked on.
Sad to say she is kinda an outcast that spends time away from the others.
Our roo will go hang out with her and keep her company. And if she hollers he goes running.
She's not picked on by the other hens and will eat treats in the middle of everyone with no issue. It's just free ranging she hangs out alone a lot and won't roost with the others.
Should I be concerned?

Some birds are just loners so I wouldn't worry since there's no picking issues.

I would continue trying to train her to roost by putting her directly on an unused section of the roost at dark, because I want my birds roosting if possible.

Some birds are just loners so I wouldn't worry since there's no picking issues.

I would continue trying to train her to roost by putting her directly on an unused section of the roost at dark, because I want my birds roosting if possible.
I'm trying put her up on the roost as much as possible but some nights I work late and when I come home that's one of the last things on my mind honestly.
When I do put her up there she does stay there the rest of the night though.
Some days I think she's just being lazy, she's kind of thick lol

When I do put her up there she does stay there the rest of the night though.
Some days I think she's just being lazy, she's kind of thick lol

How high up are the roosts? She could have issues getting up there, or could be deterred by the roost time rumbles of the rest of the flock... or might just be an oddball that likes the floor.

How high up are the roosts? She could have issues getting up there, or could be deterred by the roost time rumbles of the rest of the flock... or might just be an oddball that likes the floor.
About 8' off the floor, but only about 4' from the shelf midway up.. everyone uses the shelf and flys up.
Our coop is 12 ft by 24 ft with a 10 ft high peak

And I'm hoping it's not because she is the only Maran we have left. Feeling left out 😢.
That would break my wife's heart and we would definitely end up with more.. which isn't a bad thing.
The ending up with more part LOL

Marans can get a bit on the heavier side, which was why I wondered if maybe she was having issues getting up, and just figured after a while, why bother?

Although roost time arguments are a different matter, since she's not getting picked on outside, I wouldn't worry about her being "the only one."

Back
Top Bottom