Hen not satisfied with nest boxes....well, not exactly...

StephanieC

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Florida
Seems I was asking the wrong question, wanting to know if anyone else had experienced a hen so frustrated with the nesting situation that she was dropping eggs on the ground in the middle of the yard.

What I should have been asking wasn't why my hen was doing this, but why the eggs were in the middle of the yard.

I came home today, walked in the door to the house and found a chicken egg sitting on the rug just inside the door to the garage. AND, it wasn't Spot's egg, it was Honey's egg. Hmm. Called husband, working in separate building on the property, asked if any chickens had gotten into the house. He said no. That was when dawn broke for me.

Spot was laying in the nest boxes all this time, but her eggs weren't staying there. Apparently, my 10 year old Havanese dog has been pulling eggs out of the nest boxes and carrying them in her mouth, somehow not breaking or cracking them (yet). And today she successfully brought one in through the dog door and into the house!

So I have an entirely different problem to solve
barnie.gif
, and one outside the realm of this forum
wink.png

LOL....I saw a video of a woman who trained her dog to get the eggs out of the nests in a small coop and bring them to her on command.....always wondered if she regretted teaching the dog that trick.

Back
Top Bottom